By Jerry Nelson
In the next several words I will attempt to answer a few questions that I’ve been asked in the past month and then provide some information about our activities. My hope is that you will join us in our passion to stop human trafficking, especially of children in Thailand.
Tell me more about your Rotary E-Club. Rotary Club Ending Human Trafficking is an e-club based in District 5950. Our focus is Ending Human Trafficking. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
What is RAGAS? Rotary Action Group Against Slavery. Most RAGAS members are Rotarians. However only District Ambassadors, Coordinators and Board Members are required to be active members of Rotary. Learn more and join at http://ragas.online. The level of activity is up to each member; many are extremely active while others view their membership as a sign of solidarity in the fight against modern slavery. We need you!
What is TRAGAST? Thailand RAGAS Team. We are RAGAS members active in Thailand. Our primary goal is to eradicate trafficking of children in Thailand. We are also investigating possible projects with other organizations which may involve wider aspects including prosecution and protection, as well as prevention.
1. We are raising awareness by making presentations to Rotary Clubs and at Rotary Events, such as the 31 October presentation to the Rotary Club of Chiang Mai Phuping, (poster right).
Here are upcoming presentations, both in-person and on-line:
11/13/20 Rotary Club of Bangkok South 12:00 p.m. Crowne Plaza Hotel, Bangkok 11/19/20 Rotary Club of Santa Maria Breakfast 07:00 a.m. PST on Zoom 11/28/20 - 11/29/20 District 3360 Inter City Meeting Pang Luang Garden Resort, Lampang 12/08/20 Rotary Club of Bankapi 12:00 p.m. Grand Hyatt Erawan, Bangkok 12/17/20 Rotary Club of Chiang Rai North 06:30 p.m. The Riverie by Katathani, Chiang Rai 01/17/21 “The Longest Lunch” Awareness/Fundraising Event 12:00 p.m. Chiang Mai Gymkhana Club 01/21/21 Rotary Club of Chiang Mai 07:00 p.m. Dusit D2, Chiang Mai
2. We are preparing presentations and projects designed to teach children, their teachers, and their parents about human trafficking and what they can do to protect themselves. We are looking into working with government and community based organizations and private schools.
3. We are working and coordinating with various organizations to expand our reach. Based on a recent meeting with Amnesty International and other organizations, we intend to increase our human trafficking prevention curriculum to include peace and conflict resolution, human rights, alcohol and drug prevention. Above, Thailand RAGAS Team visits Amnesty International.
4. We are developing a series of presentations designed to raise awareness about the danger pedophiles present to organizations. The first presentation will be at Chiang Mai International Rotary Club on Tuesday 19 January 2021.
5. We are in the early stages of forming a consortium of organizations involved in the fight against modern slavery/human trafficking.
Specific Help Wanted:
1. Individuals wanting to make a difference are encouraged to join RAGAS and perhaps become involved with TRAGAST.
2. Rotarians and Rotary Clubs will be given an opportunity to participate in all of the events we are creating. Without your help, we cannot help the endangered children.
3. We are meeting with Rotary Clubs in preparation of choosing partners for larger projects, including Global Grants.
4. We would appreciate introductions to other organizations that are involved in the fight against human trafficking or may want to be.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”, from Edmund Burke. He also wrote "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." These were written over 200 years ago and still remain as absolute truth!
Editor's note: Jerry Nelson is the RAGAS Coordinator for Thailand, Charter Member of the Rotary Club of Ending Trafficking and an Honorary Member of Chiang Mai International Rotary Club. Contact him at email@example.com.